Friday, August 31, 2012

The Truth About team motivation


You might disagree, but hear me out on this. Incentives,
prizes, gifts and bonuses do not motivate people to work.
Okay, so that they can have some short-term benefits, if
you want a highly motivated team, you will never buy your way
to peak performance.

Let me give you an example of what I mean. My friend Tom
works in sales was telling me that he had come before a
recent sales team competition. His success was announced at
sales and that the meeting was presented with his 'prize' to
bottle of beer with a glass in a branded box.

If the prize had been a two week holiday in the West Indies
then it could have been better received, however, to be
honestly, would not have made a big difference as
the motivation of Tom is interested. Of course, the low
value of the premium contributes to its de-motivation.
You see, my friend Tom does not like his manager, not
She likes her job more and spends much of his time trying
a new job. Now I know that his manager and I know that the rest of
the team is not happy. Manager Tom is not a bad person,
but think that the motivation of the team's all over
The 'prize'. occasional

He recently suggested to another member of the team taking
his wife for a meal and charge a fee. This team
member has been divorced for five years.

Let me illustrate what I mean in another way. Imagine for a
As a wealthy businessman has just been asked by his
wife - "I love you dear?" and he answered - "Yes
I, I just do not buy that new car? "
It 's like a parent who feels that toys and shower,
has on a child will make them a better person. Do you know
as well as I, this will not work, it takes more.

Now do not panic, I'm not suggesting that you 'love' your team
States. However, I am saying that you need to meet their
emotional rather than their practical, logical, tangible
need if you want to motivate them. You need to worry
your team and you need to show - you're tough enough to
matter? ...

No comments:

Post a Comment